Wednesday, April 14, 2010

What I've learned from Korea

I knew moving to Korea was going to be a life changing experience. I anticipated being forced to look out for myself; to be more outgoing than I ever have in my life before. I would conclude this is one change that has occurred and will continue to occur until we return to the states. I believe everything happens for a reason; you experience hardships not to test you but to help you gain a deeper understanding and appreciation of the things around you. So although I am forcing myself to be more assertive, I have also gained a deeper appreciation for the things I had.

When you are stuck on the BART train and it is crammed as full as it can go, remember to take a breath and think it could be worse... people could be pushing you from every which way until you loose all personal space around you. This is something that happens in Korea. During the busy subway times, living in Korea you must be prepared to be pushed, shoved, bumped into, and practically knocked down!

Acknowledge and appreciate the random acts of kindness such as someone holding the door open for you or the fact that someone says "excuse me" or "sorry" if they do bump into you. There have been many occurrences where I have opened the door to let myself through only to find I get bombarded by Koreans trying to walk through the same door because they won't open it themselves! A courteous reply is very seldom heard, I'd even accept a smile; some kind of act that they even acknowledge that you didn't have to open the door. As Greg and I have learned more to defend for ourselves and act more like Koreans while we are here, we have even been given dirty stares if we don't hold the door open, as if it is expected; yet, they don't even do it for themselves! Greg has pushed a door open hard enough that I can walk through right after wards quickly but it hits the person behind me, they then seem bothered that you didn't hold it for them. Oh the irony of it all!

For those of you who take the bus, be thankful the bus actually stops at the designated stops. Quite frequently I have to flag down the bus I want and if they don't see me, sometimes they drive right on by. Not every bus driver is like this, but during the busier times you find it happens more.

When you consider the cultural differences of the Korean culture versus American culture, it is easier to understand their actions. Here they have dictated politeness; they are required to follow certain customs/rules when addressing older generations. You are taught to not talk to anyone unless you have been formally introduced; this is the reason they do not acknowledge your act of kindness. You also do not act friendly towards anyone you don't know. In a culture that is so over populated, it is understandable that one must push, shove, and defend for themselves in some respect in order to make it in this city. If you aren't as assertive and do things for yourself, a lot of times they'd never get done. It is a little sad but you can very easily tell those who have visited the United States for a period of time because they are the few that appreciate the little things we do on a daily basis.

0 comments:

Post a Comment